Hello and welcome to my site. My name is A. J. Westin and I want you to get you know me a little better. I am married with three children who are the inspiration for all my books. When each of my kids were very small (about 3-4 years old), I used to read to them before they went to sleep each night. Most of the stories I now write came from those nights of reading. My kids would pick out a book to read and I would read it to them but somehow along the line, the stories changed. I used to act them out but in order to make them fun, I would change the stories around and make up new ones. This elicited many a laugh and smile from them so I kept those story ideas in the back of my mind, hoping one day I could use them.
Well, that day has come! I am now writing these children adventure stories down on paper, well computer if you may ask but you know what I mean. These adventure books are now my main interest of my writing career. I have written many books in other genres under different pen names but these children adventure books are the ones that make me the happiest. The whole idea of writing stories that kids really want to read make me very happy!
I have been writing all my life. In fact, I have been writing so long, I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t writing. I learned to read by the time I was three years old so naturally, the next step was writing down the stories and ideas that came to mind. It is only now that I have been able to release them to the public.
I have written well over 600 songs, almost 2 dozen books, poetry and a few screenplays but nothings makes me feel better than coming up with and writing one of these fun children’s adventure books.
Let me tell you a little about my hobbies, my likes and dislikes as well as how I spend my time.
- I absolutely love Asia! My wife is from the Philippines and we own a house there. In fact, I have been to the Philippines 8 times and I just love it there. have been all over Asia. I have also visited Hong Kong, Thailand and Singapore and I am hoping to go to Japan soon to work on a novel about the country.
- Jackie Chan and Jet Li are my favorite actors and of course, I love martial arts movies. I studied karate when I was younger so don’t mess with me (just kidding). You can also add in Asian food to this list. I am not too far removed my Kimchi or my Filipino spring rolls! Tasty with a capital T!!!
- I love music. I am a HUGE Beatles fan. I have been a collector since I was 6 years old and have built up quite a collection of items from around the world. I also love Badfinger, The Byrds, Kiss, Big Star and The Raspberries, The Romantics, The Knack and of course, Matthew Sweet to name a few. So if you love this type of music, welcome aboard!
- I am passionate about sports. I’m a big NY Mets, NY Jets, Brooklyn Nets and I can’t forget about my beloved NY Rangers hockey team. Unfortunately, all my teams are not very good at the moment but things change. (Hey, a guy can dream can’t he?).
- I am also a big science fiction fan so if you are a Trekkie or into Star Wars, Battlestar Gallactica (original series), Terminator or Planet Of the Apes series then we should get along fine.
- I am also a voracious reader! I will read almost anything. Whether it be a children’s adventure book (you don’t say), a thriller, a romance novel, a book for teen adults, you name it and I have probably read it or it’s on my to do list. I believe reading is one of the most important things we can do. It’s not just for pleasure but for learning purposes. I’m always learning about new things and a good book can take you there.
- What I don’t like is people who are judgmental, rude and who belittle others. As my mother always says, “If you can’t say something nice about someone, shut your mouth and be respectful.” That’s how I live. We are all different but that doesn’t mean we can’t respect others.
Finally, let me say this. I have put this site up to bring my fans together so that you have a common place to hang out and talk about my books and children’s books in general. So, look around, have some fun and leave a comment while your here. Announce yourself and have fun. There isn’t enough fun in this world and my aim is to bring a little of it back. So take care and see you around.
Latest posts by A. J. WESTIN (see all)
- Ruth Miskin – How to Teach Children to Write – Oxford School Improvement - July 30, 2015
- Writing Children’s Books:What Should I Write About? - July 30, 2015
- Powerful Techniques That Inspire Your Children’s Fiction Writing - July 29, 2015